What is the Passage House Mother and Child Program?
Imagine being a pregnant teenager or young parenting mother, homeless without a family, going through the stresses of new motherhood alone. That is why Passage House was created–to help homeless young mothers and pregnant teenagers secure a brighter, more stable future for themselves and their babies.
For 25 years, pregnant teens and their babies have found guidance, encouragement and support in this 18-month residential program. Our counselors and mentors motivate each young mother to work hard toward achieving independence. Ultimately, 75 percent of the young women who graduate from Passage House leave with plans that include a stable home without needing public assistance.
To learn more about this program, contact Gena Graves, Passage House Coordinator, at (907) 333-2023 or email@example.com
Do you and your child need a safe place to stay?
Being a good mother is already one of the toughest jobs in the world. The Passage House Mother and Child program offers you workshops in parenting skills, child development and single parenthood. You’ll learn the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle–both for you and your child. And as a young mother, you’ll have access to services including:
- Job readiness skills
- Employment support
- Life skills development
- Positive parenting skills
- Individualized case management
- Money management and budgeting
- Mentor program
- Access to community providers
- 24-hour support staff
- After-care to ensure home stability and continued pursuit of goals
- Workshops on baby-proofing the home, discipline techniques, home preparedness and safety, cooking nutritious meals, and communication with family and friends
Is the Passage House Mother and Child program right for you?
To be accepted into our Mother and Child program, you must:
- Be an expecting or parenting woman, ages 17 – 21
- Be willing to live in a community environment with other residents
- Be willing to engage with a Covenant House Alaska Mentor
- Receive Covenant House Alaska’s employment/education assistance
- Have a placement agreement signed by legal guardian (if under 18)
You can apply now:
Interested in becoming a Passage House mentor?
We're seeking volunteers who to build a positive mentor relationship with young ladies at Passage House. Learn more about this opportunity here!